Zoom provides video a conferencing facility and other productivity and teaming services. Just like most cloud services Zoom has a number of security flaws which need careful consideration before Zoom is used.
While Zoom are busily working to remediate the known flaws in their software, there are a number of configuration and policy/use changes which you can make to help secure your Zoom experience.
Zoom provide some security advice here:
Depending on your implementation (using Zoom Room components or entirely Web based) there are a number of security configuration changes you can make to improve the security on your Zoom meetings.
Some threats to consider are:
- Device Compromise – having a device compromised and remotely controlled using the video camera and microphone to capture meeting details and other information.
- Systems Compromise – Use of the Zoom device to attack internal systems.
- Interception of communications – The real-time interception of meeting comms
- Unauthroised Access – An unauthorised person may be able to attend the meeting through poor security configuration of meeting settings.
- Stored video recordings – May be stolen, or used for nefarious mean from the Zoom platform.
Has your Zoom implementation been securely configured to defeat these potential attacks on your privacy and company information ?
Here is a basic starter for 10, configuration and use guide to help keep your Zoom experience secure:
- Generate a random meeting ID, rather than sharing a link
- Allow only signed-in users to join the meeting
- Disable the “join before host” feature (if your administrator has not already disabled it)
- Enable the waiting room feature
- Only send the meeting invite information to required people
- Ensure the password is set for every meeting
- Send the meeting password via a separate channel (i.e txt/SMS or phone)
- Lock the meeting once all participants have joined
- Develop policy for the information to be shared and use of Zoom
- Do not store or record meetings
Contact your CANDA Zoom Security experts for a full consultation and review